Friday, February 24, 2012

Open Arms

When we left the airport we went to Applebees for a drink and appetizers. I was starving and it was just right. When Dad left the table, Diane said, "We were in the grocery today and Journey's Open Arms came on. Steve said that was our song for my coming and started choking up." It seems he had been very emotional that day off and on. Me too, only differently. Mine was fear, his was excitement of sorts.

I can't at this time give an overall story to my trip to my new family. It is still too overwhelming. For now, I am posting the things that are at the forefront of my thoughts today...the rest will come later.

Things I remember vividly:

Hugging my Dad for the first time.
Jenna coming through the door and immediately taking me in for a sister hug.
My niece asking for Sis's info to text, because she wasn't there (160 texts in one day, I might add)
Meeting the important people in Steve and Diane's life and feeling their reaction to me.
My nephew T giving me a big hug before he left the first time I met him.
My nephew C and all his little loves.
My nephew L and his big smile.
Spending the day with my brother David and him putting his arm around me for a sibling and Dad photo.
Figuring out just how entirely similar Jenna and I are to one another. (Uncanny, I say...)
Meeting and getting to know my very wonderful brother in law and sister in law to be. My siblings are such lucky, special people.
Momma Wilder's unending kindness and sensitivity-she would let Dad and I talk when she thought it was appropriate-even on her birthday.
Figuring out Momma Wilder's Love Language for sure in about 2 seconds flat!
Her telling me what a hole I had filled and me dumbfounded that I could fill that hole.
Me asking Steve if it was appropriate and okay to even call him Dad.
Dad's huge hands that look exactly like mine, only in giant size.
Kansas thunder, hail and lightning
How badly my heart hurt to leave. I will never forget that pull all the way back to Seattle.

I guess Open Arms, really was appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment